9.20.2004

 

I don't see any Preps here

Currently playing: Dashboard Confessional - The Sharp Hint of New Tears

Thus began the "Homecoming Week." For some reason, I have the inexpicable urge to participate this year.. whether it be that it's Senior Year, or... I just feel goofier this year? Haha. Prep day = the same thing that most HCHS kids wear everyday.

So we were talking in psychology today about Milgram's experiment. Basically he told people he was doing an experiment on learning and had them push buttons to electrocute people whenever they didn't get a question wrong. Now in that experiment, 26/40 went all the way to the highest voltage, which was dangerous - if it actually was real. The people who were "being electrocuted" were actually part of the experiment and weren't actually getting shocked.... but wow, it surprised me how many people went all the way. When I first started reading it, I imagined myself in that same situation and said I wouldn't go beyond mybe 15-30 volts... where the highest was 460-some.

When we did the "experiment" in class, I expected more people not to go through with the experiment. But once again, I was surprised as only two other people agreed with me, saying that they wouldn't go past the first few. Their reasoning = fear of pain. My reasoning? It's just not right to hurt someone....

Which got me thinking about ethics in general. To what extent would you do something for a "greater good?" Would you sacrifice the life of one person in order to save 100 from possible death?

Where does the gray meet the blacks and whites?



You expect me to apologize
for things that you've done wrong.
While you're inciting others.
You're owning up to nothing
and I wish that I was gone,
because you're not going anywhere.

On the way home
this car hears my confessions.
I think tonight I'll take the long way.



add a thought? Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?